Province Position is Unbalanced

DeletedUser672

I like the idea of provinces, but the way things are currently set-up, players in the center of the province have a huge advantage over players on the edge. Most TW vets know farming is crucial in the beginning and is how you get ahead of others. Being on the edge of a province, especially when they are elliptical shaped and you are in a corner, means you have to travel 2-3 times further to attack other players. Not only does this make farming far less efficient, but it also gives active players a larger window to log-on and prepare defenses or dodge your attack.

Sure the player in the middle may have to travel a bit further for his noble target, but the advantage of having 2-3x more accessible farms exceedingly compensates for this. Please consider returning to the old church/belief system that was centered at the village with the church. The current build is very unbalanced.

For those who don't know:
Hint: In the early game you should focus on villages within your province. Attacking other players outside of your province will result in a 50% lower combat strength. While this is a great advantage for your defense when you are attacked by bigger players from another province, it is on the other hand harder for you to conquer a village in another province and defend it. It is important to quickly build a church there, so that your troops have belief in that province.
Other church facts:
  • The church needs a lot of farm space so it is not wise to build a church in every village. The higher the building level, the higher the combat strength in the province.
  • The church is destroyed when a village is taken over.
  • The church has more hitpoints than any other building. So it is well protected against catapults.
Hint: In the late-game it can happen that a single player or tribe owns all villages within a province. In this case, try to destroy all enemy churches first, before you start conquering.

ketjatekos

Squire
I partly agree with you. I also started at the edge of a province, and when I learnt about it, I was not user, if that's fair. Although I would say some counter arguments:
Attacking a barbarian village in an other sector, is not really more dangerous, then doing it in the same province. I lost units both ways. I was a little bit pissed of, because there were at least 8 barbarian village at the middle of nothing. Happily now I'm in the middle of it :p
As of the nobbling: You have to choose whether you want to conquer a village in the same sector, or in a neighbourhood province. Both has it's ups and downs. But at the beginning phase of the game, you are not able to conquer a big enough village, in an outer province. Either a barbarian, or a inactive player, with small amount of units. Attacking a village like this, the plus hours, are not really that problem, and you still need to think about the church problem (you would really stay in the province after that).
Attacking in the same sector with you, might be still more time waster for a player in the edge, but if they manage the problem with the barbarians, there will be no problem with finding a good second village.

DeletedUser250

ketjatekos;n5248 said:
Attacking a barbarian village in an other sector, is not really more dangerous, then doing it in the same province. I lost units both ways.

This is false.

If you attack a level 1 wall in your province with 10 spears 1 spear dies, attack the same village outside of your province and 4 spears die. This is not comparable, at all.

DeletedUser260

I really think the province idea is a terrible design. Or, at least, it's terribly implemented.

This game, on paper, and at first, is a fast-paced, somewhat attacking-balanced game. Which is something I think is a great change from TW1. There's one problem though - once you factor the effects of provinces (especially in late-game) into that paper calculation, it becomes a turtlefest. (And berserkers look to be even more OP, with provinces factored in, than they seem to be otherwise - but I guess berserkers are another discussion entirely. Albeit one that really needs to happen before this game moves to release)

Think about it. You lose 50% of power on pretty much all of your attacks in late-game. You basically can't break a stack unless you have berserker-only nukes, and even then it's just improved to the difficulty that it would be if you're attacking inside your province. And then even if you do break the stack, and you do take the village, the enemy has 100% power counterattacking your new capture, and taking it back. I'm not actually sure if late-game wars will be viable with this system in place. It seems ill-advised.

DeletedUser250

Yep, you basically grab en entire province, and then dare anyone stupid enough to do so to try and attack you it seems.

It also seems to encourage barb nobling because you need to noble all the barbs in your province or else someone else nobles it and makes troops in it to attack you with.

DeletedUser738

to say the truth i star right in the middle of my province but i understand your point of view imagine if in the edge of a province are you and in at your side, but in another province another player both have a nice evolution late game you want to noble him and here comes 1 prob: you know what troops he got, you have more fire power than he can handle but without the chapel factor you lose, you lose what would be an easy victory...
​i think that is annoying but as i said i start right in the middle and i'm lucky for that.

DeletedUser536

I start at a corner of my provine, and i´m very happy with it. If I get attacked i see this much fewer and i attack all barb. around me (even the barb. in the other provinces) You just send some light cavalery and nobody dies.
To the late:
My opinion is that you can research a Skill that allows you to attack with 90% - 100%. So it would be ok for me(and there is luck too)

DeletedUser260

-Vanguard.-;n6590 said:
The paladin-tech will be changed in the future though, to something that affects the malus when attacking other provinces.

I'm going to pull this quote and put it here for discussion, as it's very relevant to this thread.

I don't feel this is enough to properly balance provinces in late-game on its own. A paladin is only one unit, after all. However, I think this is a good start and it shows that they are taking our feedback into consideration. I would hope there's more planned in this vein though, to help fix the potential issue of provinces before they actually become an issue.

DeletedUser924

Nauzhror;n5313 said:
This is false.

If you attack a level 1 wall in your province with 10 spears 1 spear dies, attack the same village outside of your province and 4 spears die. This is not comparable, at all.

However on the other hand if you send 40 spears against that level one wall then you lose 0 in or out of province that is how I farm both sides with no loses to me I also use the medic when attacking out of bounds so that i don't have to worry about losing as much.My only problem with the provinces is that they are ay too small. you can only fit a handful of villages in them. I could probably own the whole thing and not even be 250K

DeletedUser831

I don't really think you need to worry about losing spears. The barbs have no base defence as they don't build walls, and you can get so many troops so fast by the time you are facing something with a wall then the discussion is irrelevant because you can send axes by then.
You would likely need axes anyway to clear any player villages due to the tutorial giving troops. The number of troops in even a small village can vary from 20 spears to over 100 defensive troops, unless they've been cleared by someone else.

DeletedUser385

This problem easy to solve.
Enough to remove any penalties when attacking barbarians.

DeletedUser989

Let's first see how the game develops. There are more differences in the game compared to TW1. TW2 is not full copy, so let's first see what happens when the first real war starts. Account sitting is also not available in this game, and in my opinion, that also has a large impact on the game.
Provinces can also be a nice dimension in the game which will force the players to new tactics that are not developed yet.

DeletedUser138

Hi Gabo,

This is our intention.

Basically the provinces are working exactly like we wanted them to work when we first started developing them. We are different from Tribal Wars in many ways, and we want to keep it that way. =)