Game speed at the beginning too slow?

Barbiearian

Squire
Whilst I recognise that all this genre is renowned for slow gameplay at the beginning, TW2 seems to be taking a lot longer than most I would suggest. I wonder what the logic of making a game quite so slow in the beginning - does that not just put lots of players off, if they are looking at 12+hour building queues after just a week or so? I'm not suggesting a double-speed server or the like - its just I wonder how much of the waiting time is designed purely to encourage pay to finish, rather than being part of the actual gameplay, or how it is encouraging new members to stick with it (which has to be of paramount importance to keep a game running).

I think its quite normal to have certain building upgrades you do overnight in this genre - coz they take so long - but this game seems to put everything in that category.

Without a chat system in place (which I realise has been mentioned before), and with such long upgrade times at the start of the game, the percentage of players persevering is not going to be very high I'd suggest - well at least a lot lower than it might be.

I'd suggest you keep the 3 or 4+ hour upgrades to a bare minimum at the beginning of the game - not make it the norm.

DeletedUser1484

It's simple, take out your credit card and buy insta build

Barbiearian

Squire
Aside from the fact this is a beta version, so none but a fool would be using credit cards, I think you totally missed the point.

If you take away the idiots who would spend money on a beta that could be reset at any time, and talk about normal game players who dont mind spending money on their gaming - they will evaluate a game, and if it ticks the boxes for them, pay money for it. What you don't want is to make the game so incredibly slow at the beginning, that they lose interest before they would even get to the point of spending money.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to ascertain that, if you are having to spend a lot of money at the very outset, its going to be exponentially greater as you progress through it.

I personally think, on balance, the first week of playing could be faster, which is why I started this thread - not to discuss the pros and cons of paying for the game - that is another thread entirely. Either people think its too slow, too fast, or just right. Ask yourself how many players would suggest its already too fast and builds should take longer. If that number is as low as I suspect it is, then I would suggest the balance has not been reached. If the right balance has been reached, then you will have some players thinking its too fast, some thinking its too slow - and you have therefore reached a happy medium. Remember, gamers are a fickle bunch - if they don't like something, and they aren't already hooked, they will find another game out there that suits them more. The secret is to get them hooked on the game in the first place.

Lets not forget this is meant to be a game - not a competition on who can find a better game to play whilst they have 15 hours of building queues to sit through after just a week. Idle gamers mice look elsewhere for their gaming if you don't keep them occupied imo.

Endin

Peasant
I agree, I'm at the early stages, one village with less than 2k score, my highest level buidlings are HQ, Barrack, warehouse and farm and I'm looking at 30+ hours queue for both recruitment and building. I know this will change once you get more villages to handle but with all the manual work needed to build/recruit/raid I expect the work load to become way to heavy and benefit people who can check in on the game once every 30 min and not benfit the people who actually have an strategic ability..