First Impressions & 2cents

warmire

for whomever it may concern:

new to TW2- 19hrs of protection left to paint the perfect picture.
just some thoughts i feel the need to cast out there...for no reason but posterity in history i suppose

-and knowing were in beta- which means, still in progress.

i come from tw1 & graphically we are happier, great job designers! this "world", this app we have here, is more an exercise in imagination, than visual "wowness", every must agree.
Visually ive been upgraded from the tw1 world tho, and knowing the great game mechanics of That world, this is of course, the next best thing.

the hover overs-the movement lines-the denotes of army coming/going- all great im diggin it

For user ease and frankly, for much much better strategic depth- i wish for our map to come out about another 2x what it does. i count 4clicks on my mouse wheel, 12 clicks would make me salivate. a global view, and all i can think of is Civ 4 with its very great set of strategic/tactics masks.
So i can quickly see what tribes are where, and whose village is which- by color, icons, tags either way... SO many items for the "info buff" could be branched out from here. exmpl-when i have many villages, it'd be great to see which is off...which is defense.. etc.etc.

Ive personally found it hard so far to create a great sense of "the whole scene"...

right in the center/upper of the user interface is big blank spot. perfect real estate for a server clock. the holy grail of our world. what time is it?
i COULD figure it out if i had too

i certainly cant chime in the spy mechanic discussion going about these days, i obviously have no experience with it
= but i can say i DO love the idea of having them, im glad the devs introduced them

at the same time i was sad to see the scouts go.. very much so the more i dwell on it. I just put a book down and this incredible description of 4000 calv scouts winding through this mountain pass, seeking out every vantage point- desperate to cop a view at the enemy fortification. as a war historian for 25yrs ive read this example numerous times.
what tw1 had going in its realism, was the scouts, i just took it for granted at the time!!! :)
- thinking back upon stacks and racks of books - even the actual numbers coencide alot of times

My point is, after 3 days playing- i miss the scouts. i knew it as a straightforward means to gather my intell, the game mechanics in that aspect where great- and it was utterly realistic.

....only time will sway my answer on the switch from scouts to spy, and any balance issues-
my end opinion being there is certainly room for both-
i read a post in the forum, that spies should serve an annoyance- perfectly right

if i could take that one step further- id say, cav scouts are the Bread
Spys should be the butter

But im not gonna let the discussion dampen my attitude

Whatever bugs are here in beta, i have faith in who brought me the original Tribal Wars

No expert in TW2 yet, i AM an expert on what keeps me "going" in a video game... and im happy and grateful so far

gencyde1

Just a couple things :

As far as I know, there is no server time - I dont know if that is good or bad in the perspective of the devs. The time you see are your actual local time (if you haven't noticed yet). This might be another layer that the devs are looking and tagging as "strategic" - I mean, if you look at it this way, no one knows when your "Night Bonus" kicks in, unless they literally send fakes every single hour and determine which timeframes are "Night Bonus" times. However, if you are in the beta-server, there is no night bonus (apparently, even though I recall that it used to have one or just a visual of it.)

For "seeing" which villas are off or def tidbit - you can go and do a "Add Group" selection and customize the "Label" for off and defensive villas (however you want it) and mark villas that way.

So far, the Spy system is definitely the most controversial talked-about topic. Definitely, scouts are great and all, but I personally liked this new system. The additional CounterMeasure mechanics is definitely clever. However, similar to TW1 - the Spy system is still prone to "Quantity over Quality" - in which, the other features (Sabotage) are also directly associated with.