Rejected rule change proposal

DeletedUser159

The game rules state
3. Language

This Tribal Wars 2 server is an international one. The use of other languages than English in the game is forbidden. This means all communication and all publications must be in English.
In tribe forums, private communications, and player profiles a short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.
Support tickets must also be created in understandable English, otherwise we may not reply.
I propose to leave the "private communications" and the "player profiles" part out. Reasons:
- profile is not the place to communicate important things. If someone likes his profile in russian, why deny it, there will arise no problems from some players not understanding it.
- private messages are with exactly one other person, if I write someone I don't know in german, it's my own fault for him not understanding me. If I write with persons I know, why should we not use our native languages? Why should I be banned for writing messages in Klingon without providing a translation?
I totally understand the requirement to write english in the tribe forums, but it doesn't make any sense to me in private messages.

DeletedUser336

I agree, in a private message you should be able to put what you like. That is why they are private. However, I think what is currently in place is fine for the profiles.

Regards,
Dark

DeletedUser493

There is a gameplay problem that arises. On international servers, there is no night defense bonus. So telling everyone where you come from is a disadvantage.

DeletedUser250

I disagree with the proposed change, for one key reason. Mods should be able to read all mails that may potentially be reported without having to try and translate the mails and understand what is being said.

DeletedUser8

And how they know you are not insulting or using a offensive language in your profile or the PM???

DeletedUser481

Chiri;n3195 said:
And how they know you are not insulting or using a offensive language in your profile or the PM???

I agree with this. The mods shouldn't have to deal with all the extra work needed to translate every single person's profile and pm to make sure it's within the rules. That would be asking a bit too of the mods. There are only 24 hours in a day! :D

DeletedUser159

There is a gameplay problem that arises. On international servers, there is no night defense bonus. So telling everyone where you come from is a disadvantage.
That might be true, but the game rules are not there to prevent players from being stupid. Maybe it would make sense to add the "don't tell everyone where you're from" rule to a tutorial or whatever :D
I disagree with the proposed change, for one key reason. Mods should be able to read all mails that may potentially be reported without having to try and translate the mails and understand what is being said.
That is more of a valid reason, whether the problem is really there depends on how many messages and profiles are reported and on how good automated translators is with translating insults etc. I don't have any idea about the first point, but as for the second, I'm pretty sure google translate is not that bad at it :D
I think the mods should think about that, if they reject the proposal because of the extra work of translating messages, I'm okay with it :)

DeletedUser260

****;n3324 said:
That is more of a valid reason, whether the problem is really there depends on how many messages and profiles are reported and on how good automated translators is with translating insults etc. I don't have any idea about the first point, but as for the second, I'm pretty sure google translate is not that bad at it :D
I think the mods should think about that, if they reject the proposal because of the extra work of translating messages, I'm okay with it :)

Mods can understand the basic things being said in another language. What gets lost in translation are the connotations, the wording, the subtext, implied statements, and those sorts of things.

Translators can tell you when something is insulting. What they are not very good at telling you is the severity of that insult.

DeletedUser420

If you send a PM to someone you know that he can speak your language, then he won't report you and as a result, nobody cares.

If you send a PM to someone you don't know that he can speak your language, you will get reported, because it might be an insult.

The rule is meant to prevent you from insulting strangers.

DeletedUser3

Hi Guys,

Thank you for discussing this issue so constructively, this thread was a pleasure to read. All valid pro and con arguments were mentioned already. To clarify, the main reason for this rule is to indeed be more efficient with our support, and not having to translate every post if they are reported. While I understand that the beta has a wide variety of players, we still feel this rules helps us with our job, and it is a small courtesy to ask from the players. I know it can be annoying, but it is for the greater good. Thank you for your comments everyone.

DeletedUser533

lol this gonna be fun when the Spanish pvp guild seven is quitting gw2 and gonna shill for Camelot unchained.

they will probably come here and all of them only speak spanish^^ if there is not a Spanish version of tribalwars they will come to this version and I don't think they will not care about the English rule here sorry^^

DeletedUser5

I don't see how that is fun - in that case, I recommend to wait for the Spanish release, or bear the consequences of rule breaking. :)