Discussion on game speed.

DeletedUser2103

Hello all.

I would like to start a discussion specifically on the subject of game speed. I'd like to stick to the topic as much as possible. Yes crown buyers will have an advantage buying troops and speeding up buildings, that isn't going away, so lets not go off topic with that please. I think the balance of speed for people who don't spend alot of crowns is far too extreme. In fact, even for crown purchasers the speed must be overly restrictive. If you have to wait days to accumulate resources to build your farm, including the construction time of doing so, then it means you can't buy any more troops.

So here are the elements I'd like to get some discussion going on. Obviously there are links between the various game elements and its a question of balance. I have used a different colour to express my view on how to simply solve the problem, and I hope the guys at Inno will take some of this on board, depending on what other players think of course!

1. Resource accumulation speed & benefits from leveling up buildings.
In TW2, the incremental benefits of increased resource building levels are very small for a long time, and the last few levels give you stupidly large benefits. Take the Timber Camp. It has 30 levels to a maximum of 3020 per hour. But half of this maximum production is achieved in only the last 6 levels of the building, making it extremely skewed. This has the effect of severely limiting resources for the majority of the time spent building it up and therefore slows down resource accumulation extremely in my view. All the resource buildings, and the farm, have the same extreme skew. This has knock on effects primarily to expansion (minting and nobles). I know you can supplement your income with farming, and thats fine, but in my view resource accumulation could be sped up to make the game flow along faster for most people, with or without farming. A potential simple solution is just to make the incremental increases linear with each level. So by level 15/30 you have reached half the maximum production, instead of at level 24.

2. Troop building speed.
Many players have already highlighted the fact that all recruitment now goes through one building. This, coupled with quite long build times for units, means that the time to build an effective number of troops is running into several weeks. I simply don't know why it isn't faster. As a player in primarily a PVP game, I want to be doing something interesting once a week or so, not once a month. I appreciate that once an empire reaches a hundred cities or more, then a player in theory could have one quarter of those cities every week ready with a full set of troops, however the time to get to that level is in the order of many months, if not a year, so in the meantime the inability to have a decent set of troops available makes for a very boring period. Increasing resource generation won't solve the troop issue, as many players can easily sustain full troop queues most of the time. This shows just how slow they are. Implement parallel building channels within the barracks like Ive suggested here: http://forum.beta.tribalwars2.com/fo...struction-idea. Or simply increase troop building speed for a very simple solution.

3. Expansion speed.
This is very closely linked to number 1 above. The truth is that in the early game, expansion of your empire is painfully slow. It takes all your resources diverted to minting and nobles, even with farming. To those who may say farm more, I say that when the local area is congested with players you are totally stuck in that regard. Following on from the theme of number 2 as well, the painfully slow expansion means nothing to do for weeks on end. You reach a point where your growth slows down substantially after a few cities because of the increased minted coin requirements and resource increments that can't keep up with that (item 1 again). I think solving item 1 would go a long way to solve this problem too, so that would be the first step. However it may also be worth considering reducing the number of coins required for the first 10 to 15 noblemen. First 3 noblemen could require 1 additional coin, next 3 could require 2 additional coins, etc.

So to summarise, I genuinely think there is a good game here, but I do dispair at the slowness of it. I want to be able to log on and have something to do instead of just sending out more farming runs and watching the clock tick down on my 24 hour build and troop queues. I want to be able to plan for nobling, or attempting to noble, a new city next week, not next month.

Do people agree? Either way let your opinions be known!

Regards
Dan

DeletedUser2103

Only 16 views and no replies in nearly 3 days. This forum is dead.

DeletedUser940

so im going to address to you why the speed is fine

1. okay so first off i never had issues with gathering resources. why because i farm. if you farm you will get farm more resources than if you just wait for the resources to generate up in your villages. if you dont actively farm it will take forever. but you have the ability to farm other players in this game and hence you must implement that in your strategy when playing this game. if you dont then you will fall behind and should.

2. so we have calculated how fast a nuke can be built. the fastest nuke can be built in about 14 days with barracks lvl 25 and the slowest nuke can be built in 30 days and hits alot harder. so with this the 14 day nuke isnt unreasonable. once you have multiple villages you are set because it builds faster than the enemies defenses should. and then you mix in the 30 day nukes in there. you then have quick nukes to soften an enemy up while you wait for the big bad nuke to be built. number one thing i wouldnt do in this game is go straight to building the TW1 standard nukes. those take far to long to build. sure you can have a few but they are not worth the time they take to build. (if you wish to know the details on these nukes feel free to message me.)

3.with the knowledge i gave you of 1 and 2 your expansion speed will be perfect. before the big war on the second closed beta server i was top 10 easily without using crowns, without barb munching. although i did take inactive villages when a good player that worked closely with me quit. but still i didnt have expansion problems at all and i expanded very rapidly.

DeletedUser924

the only thing I saw was that you spend days waiting for recourses. Well I'm not even going to read the rest because I feel its now a moot point. If you are waiting so long you are not farming end of debate. Don't blame the game if you aren't playing it right. You have to farm to gather resources I know the tutorial taught you that. Side rant i still hold it against innogames for making it too easy for you by teaching you every advanced tactic so that you don't even need to think to figure them out, come on it a strategy game put your thinker to use and be inventive. Side rant over. Now This world is not dead the forum has been dead for a long time but the worlds i play in are both engaged in the beginnings of world wars. That means that all the top tribes and players are a part of the war by association or active participation. Thats hardly what I call dead. As for bing too slow and if farmings not the issue then the lack of nobling is your problem. if you want to build a village to 12k points then noble another don't. The moment you can get a nuke ready and have a noble built you should be using it. Stop hoarding your troops and put them to use. Now point whoring won't get you anywhere but neither will building tons of troops to let them go to waste. This game does not need to be speed up but in case you didn't know they already have a way to do that. Each world is assigned a value i think all these are 1 for beta. And you do play beta so don't tell me you aren't here for beta because the entire game is in beta and the final version is not even out yet. but they can make a world with world speed 2 or 3 or anywhere in between and then all buildings and troop recruitment and even unit speed will be cut by a percentage based upon that value.

Jariid

I'm in w5 right now, and I think the speed is just fine. I'm pumping out troops relatively quickly, and I'm expanding rather quickly as well. I didn't focus on the buildings for much more than the AP and I didn't push for academy before having 23/23/20 resources. That way I managed to grow rather quickly while "Not being congested" The trick to decongestion is the risky early-game dominance action. If you let your neighbours grow, they'll farm. If they farm, that's money out of your pocket. If you don't combat them, they will cause you more bad than good.

In fact, alot of areas in my world are entirely inactive players, then a province away will be a clogged province full of medium-speed of progression players. It's all how you deal with the situation. If you have 5+ tribemates in your province. You're going to have a bad time. Either get your leader to trim down the duds, or leave. there is no point in wasting time in a place you can't grow.